Thursday, 22 December 2011

Shortbread Cookies

To me, it doesn’t feel like Christmas without shortbread cookies. I love them and only make them once a year so they always seem like a very special treat. The recipe I use came from my grandma but I have no idea where she originally found it. I like it because it’s simple, quick, and never fails.

Ingredients:
1 cup butter
½ cup icing sugar
½ cup corn starch
2 cups flour
Decorations – sprinkles, cherries, whatever

First I cream 1 cup butter and ½ cup icing sugar. Once that’s mixed I add ½ cup corn starch and 2 cups flour. The dough tends to be crumbly so I work it in my hands before rolling it out.


I then roll the dough out on parchment paper. You’d think, given my love of baking, that I’d own a rolling pin but I don’t so I use a glass. Next I cut out the cookies and put them on a cookie sheet.


 

The next step is may favourite part. I decorate the cookies using sprinkles and cherries.



I put them on a cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes at 350, until they are a nice golden brown.


12 comments:

  1. Hi Allison, I saw your cookies over at Inspiration Cafe - I love shortbread and these sound delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe and have a wonderful week! ~Cindy@littlemisscelebration.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm visiting from Inspiration Cafe. This looks like a great recipe, and reminded me of cookies my Grandma used to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison! I love shortbread cookies and love that your recipe doesn't have eggs so my little one with an egg allergy can eat them too! Thank you so much for linking your great cookie recipe up to Inspiration Cafes first link party! Pinning your yummy recipe! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allison,

    These look SO GOOD! I am such a fan of shortbreads :) Yum! visiting from Inspiratin Cafe x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am such a fan of shortbread and think yours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummmm shortbread cookies are the best!! Thanks for sharing this easy recipe at the Inspiration Cafe Al! So pretty and yummmy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are yummo Al - huge lifelong fan of shortbread here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shortbread is absolutely necessary at Christmas!

    Found you via the Inspiration Cafe :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤... Jennifer
    Jenn's Random Scraps

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love shortbread cookies, and this recipe sounds like one my friend use to make. I need to give this one a try. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. i found u on Pinterest... thanks for the recipe.
    I just made these cookies... I followed ur directions to the T, but found when trying to roll out it was too crumbly. I added a bit more butter to the already make dough which helped bind it together.... which was way better.. just out of the oven... they taste good, but still a little to dry....flakes into almost a powder... maybe to much cornstarch?? not sure... but ill try again and see if I can do better :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that. Could it have been the temperature of the butter? I usually warm mine in the microwave until it's almost melted but not quite. Adding more butter or cutting back a little on the flour should fix the problem.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).