Saturday, 7 January 2012

Medic Alert Bracelets

I have to wear a medic alert bracelet. I may not like it but it’s a fact of life. In the name of honesty, I should admit that I didn’t wear one for a long time. Last year I  was told off by the doctor for not wearing one got smart about the importance of wearing one and decided that if I had to wear one, I might as well make some that I like.

I looked around the Internet and found a place that would sell me just the medic alert part of the bracelet with a round fastener on either side so I could clip it to my own bracelets. I don't remember what site it was but I'm sure you can find something on Google. The site also sold bracelets and, after looking at them, I figured they couldn’t be that hard to make. They weren’t! Once I realised how easy they were to make, I made quite a few. I love that I can change them to match my outfit and my mood.


Above is a picture of the ones I’ve been wearing. Yes, the majority of them are black. I wear a lot of black. Anyway, I got some new beads over Christmas and decided it was time to add a few new ones into the mix.

I used:
Craft wire
Wire cutters & pliers (mine are all in one)
Lobster claw clasps
Crimp beads
Beads

First I placed my beads in the pattern I wanted. This is where I struggle the most. For example, the pink and purple one I thought would look nice but once it was laid out I was not a fan so I didn't make it.


Then I looped a piece of wire cut a little bit longer than my wrist through a lobster claw and fastened it by flattening a crimp bead.


Next I strung my beads onto the wire, making sure that the doubled wire at the beginning was neatly tucked inside the beads.


Once I had the bracelet to the proper length I put on a second crimp bead and the looped the wire through another lobster claw and back through the crimp bead. I flattened the crimp bead and cut the wire, working the little bit that was left after cutting inside the beads.



This is what it looks like once the medic alert tag is attached. They are available with many different colours for the emblem but I like the more subtle ones. I have this white one and also a grey one.


The second one I made might actually be my favorite one yet. I had a very similar one before but the beads wore out. I love the simplicity of it.



Last but not least is the most fancy bracelet I think I've ever created. I made two strings of larger beads and then weaved two strings of smaller beads in between them. For this bracelet, each strand is attached to the claw using it's own crimp bead.


There you have it. They're pretty easy to make, can be made to go with any outfit and, in my opinion, look much nicer than those ugly metal ones from the drug store.

3 comments:

  1. Those bracelets are so pretty! Much better than the standard issue ones for sure! Did you know that your setting is at 'no reply' for your comments on other blogs? Just thought you might want to know so you can change it if you wonder why you don't get comments back unless someone takes the time to check out your profile. Happy New Year! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can not wait to make some of these bracelets for my niece. She will love having something different to wear besides the necklace she has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 daughters who need medical alert bracelets and are quiet excited to be able to design and make their own bracelets :) Also MUCH cheaper then the $25 per bracelet (not including the plaque) that they are retail.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).