It’s been a busy week with report cards and parent teacher interviews so I thought I’d share something I made for my classroom. Don’t worry; it’s not just for teachers. You can also use it to make cute printable word art for your home.
For each chapter or unit I teach, there are things my students are expected to learn. They get these outcomes in a handout and we refer to them regularly in class but I like to have the posted as well. Another teacher introduced me to the website wordle (dot) net and I fell in love.
|A Language Arts outcome bulletin board using Wordle prints|
Here’s how I did it. I went to the website and clicked on “create”. I then copied and pasted the text I wanted in the box. In my case it was the outcomes for a Social Studies chapter about immigration.
Once the text was in the box I clicked on “go” and it brought me to my word art. I wasn’t happy with the first one, as I found certain words were too large.
Because the size of the word is determined by the frequency at which it occurs, I went back and repasted my outcomes. I then removed some words (immigration 4 times and policies 2 times) so that they still stand out but aren’t overwhelming the rest of the words.
I was much happier with my second version, so I started playing with the details. I changed the font, the arrangement of the words, and the colours. I should let you know I haven’t figured out how to change the size it prints and the page orientation. I don’t know if those things can be changed or not.
Once I liked the way it looked, I printed and laminated it. Now all that’s left to do is post it when we start the unit.
|The finished product, ready to be posted on the Social Studies board.|
To show how quick and easy it is to make these, I whipped up one using lyrics to one of my favorite songs which J and I are using in our wedding – Feels Like Home. I cut pasted the words off the internet, changed the font and word layout, and customized the colours to make the Valentine’s-y. Now that I’m familiar with the program (not that it took much time to figure it out) it took less than 5 minutes and was easy.
*Please excuse the not-so-great photos. I took them of the computer screen with my camera and couldn't get them to look very good.