Sunday, 22 April 2012

Lanyard

Spring has finally sprung here and so has my motivation. I’ve been busy taking care of all the things I’ve been putting off which has meant less time on the computer and no posts at all this week. I apologize. I’m still new to this and working on finding balance. I’m actually thinking about pre-writing posts and doing some sort of schedule. If you have any advice on how to organize this, I’d love to hear it.


Anyway, on to my latest addiction – homemade lanyards. There is a bit of background to this project. I have a student teacher in my classroom right now. She’s been with me for 5 weeks and this is her last one. Sad face. When she arrived, the school key she got was on a really ugly lanyard. I went to the dollar store to buy her a fun one and the selection was very limited. She could be FBI (female body inspector), world’s best mom, or have dolphins. None of these seemed like her so I did what any DIYer would do; I made one.

Step one: Cut out a long strip of fabric. I don’t have a fancy cutting matt and ruler so I use a fabric pencil and a meter stick. My width is 2 times the meter stick, which is about an inch and a half.


Step two: Iron the edges in. This is where you have to pay attention to size. My D-rings are half an inch so I need the size of the fabric in the middle to be an inch. It should be 2x the size of your D-ring.


Step three: Fold in half, iron and pin. Double check that the width of your lanyard is the right size for your D-ring.


Step four: Sew one long seam to join the two sides of fabric together.


Step five: Sew a matching seam on the other side of the lanyard. This one doesn’t serve a purpose but makes it look better.


Step six: Attach your D-ring. Put your lanyard around your neck and trim it to the proper length. Join the two sides and the bottom and place the D-ring. Fold the fabric over once and then a second time to hide the messy ends. Sew two seams to secure the folds in place.


Since I made this first one, I’ve gone a little crazy with them. I made one for my student teacher, one for me, and 4 more. I also plan on making some more this afternoon. I’m not sure if I’ll put them on Etsy or use them as presents or what, but I really enjoy making them so I figure ‘why not?’.

Shared on:
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Craft
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).