Wednesday, 20 June 2012

Washer Pendant

The other day I decided to get on the bandwagon and make myself some washer necklaces. I’m sure you’ve seen them around. I’ve seen so many versions of these but never actually read any tutorials so I made up a way that worked for me.


Supplies:
Washer
Paper
Pencil
Scissors
Modge Podge
Brush
Dimensional Magic
Bobby pin (or something to spread with)
Hemp or some kind of string

Step 1: Trace the washer on the paper, cut it out and trim it until it fits perfectly. To make the hole in the center I just pushed the pencil through the paper.


Step 2: Modge podge the back of the paper, put it in place and let it dry. Once the back is dry, modge podge the top of the paper and let that dry as well. I also modge podged the back where the paper was pushed through the hole.


Step 3: Cover the front in Dimensional Magic. It took a few tries to figure it out.  I found what worked best for me was putting it toward the center and then spreading it with a bobby pin. Be careful to let it dry very well.


Step 4: Loop hemp or string around the washer and tie it so it can be adjusted.


I wore one of my new washer pendants to school today. Sorry for the slanted, wet-haired, head chopped off picture but I took it before school so that's as good as it gets. I think the pendant looked nice with the outfit and made me look a little more put together. For less than $1, I'd say that's pretty good.


Shared on:
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
The Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid

4 comments:

  1. I love the necklace! Pinning...I'll definitely make some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Featuring you today! :)

    Ginger @ Ginger Snap Crafts

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/07/take-look-at-you-my-favorites.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet....you make it sound so simple...one question for you, did you cover both side of the washer with the paper? What type of paper did you use,scrapbook?Thanks ~ Holly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, it won't let me email you so hoepfully you see this. I only covered one side of the washer because I knew they would be lying flat. You could easily do both side. You'd just have to give each side lots of drying time and I'm too impatient for that. For the paper, I just used scraps from my scrapbook paper stash. It wasn't anything special, just leftover bits and pieces from paper from Michaels and Walmart.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).