Sunday, 21 October 2012

Halloween Painted Jars


I’m really not a fan of Halloween. I think it’s weird and creepy and, as a teacher, I dread the days that follow trick-or-treating. Despite my feelings about the occasion, I decided to make a few Halloween projects, starting with these painted jars.


I have seen many versions of these online and, while I didn’t actually follow any of the instructions, I did use them for inspiration.  For the instructions I guessed as I went along and they worked out quite well.


First I took some empty jars. There are from Prego pasta sauce. We normally use the club size pasta sauce but I knew I needed some jars for this project so we used the normal size jars for a few weeks. I poured some acrylic paint inside the jars and swirled it around. It took quite a bit to cover the entire surface but I didn’t water the paint down because I wanted thick coverage.


Once I had the insides completely covered I turned the jars upside down and placed it on a plate covered with tinfoil. I moved the jars fairly frequently at first (maybe every 15 – 20 minutes) as there was a fair amount of paint coming out. After a couple hours I stopped moving them and left them to dry over night.


When I got up the next morning I turned the jars right side up and painted faces on them. At this point the insides still weren’t completely dry but it didn’t really matter. I used a black paint-marker and freehanded the faces.


I think I may eventually put candles in them and use them as luminaries but for now they're sitting empty on my fake-mantle.


For someone who doesn't really like Halloween, I'm surprised how much I like these jars. I’m really happy with how they turned out but I feel like I need a white ghost. Maybe if we eat some more pasta this week I’ll make one to add to the set. 



Shared on: Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts, The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible, Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts, Link Up & Spook On @ Amy's Cooking Adventures, Wickedly Creative Halloween Party @ Itsy Bitsy Paper, It's a Party @ A Creative Princess, Artsy-Corner Thursday @ Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid, Cure For the Common Monday @ Lines Across, Love Bakes Good Cakes, Someday Crafts

6 comments:

  1. Super cute!!! Thanks for sharing :)

    Following from the Networking Hop!

    Chelsea
    http://bigbeautifulbroke.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your jars! I think they turned out great and I love the colours you chose! Happy Fall! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute and fun! And the colors you chose are perfect! Hopping over from Wow Me Wednesday :)

    Hugs,
    Stephanie
    www.theenchantingrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jars are super cute! I love Halloween happy colors! And I love that you reused some jars ;) Maybe you'll start liking Halloween better after a few more crafts like these, hehe! Halloween is what got me into crafting last year. Haven't made any Halloween crafts this year though :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. These turned out really great! I hope you will stop by and link this up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Party if you haven't already. Thank you so much!
    http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/09/2012-wickedly-creative-halloween-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute and perfect for Halloween! I'd love for you to link this up at Do Something Crafty Friday: http://seevanessacraft.com/2012/10/do-something-crafty-63/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).