Saturday, 6 October 2012

Pumpkin Roll


Happy Thanksgiving! Yep, it’s that time of year (at least for us Canadians). It seems as though this fall has flown by. Anyway, I saw this recipe for Pumpkin Roll by Talitha at Love, Pomegranite House and decided to try it to go with our turkey.  This was my first time making a roll so it’s not the prettiest but it’s delicious and icing sugar can hide many flaws.



First, I got my oven preheating to 375 and then I focused on making the cake.

Ingredients:

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup flour (I used 1/2 cup white and 1/3 cup whole wheat)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup canned pumpkin
icing sugar (to sprinkle on towel)


Photo 1: Prepare the pan. I don’t have a special pan so I used a cookie sheet that was about 12x16(ish). Next time I will use on a little smaller so my dough is thicker. I really wanted to make sure it didn’t stick so I put parchment paper on the pan, sprayed it with baking spray, and then sprinkled icing sugar on top.

Photo 2: In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.

Photo 3: Using a mixer, blend the eggs, sugar and vanilla.

Photo 4: Blend the pumpkin into the wet mixture.

Photo 5: Slowly add in the flour mixture and blend until smooth.

Photo 6: Pour the batter onto the cookie sheet and spread it around so it’s even.

Photo 7: Prepare a clean dish towel but sprinkling it with icing sugar. I think I may have used a little (or a lot) too much but it worked.

Photo 8: This is where I started to get nervous. I had t take the cake out of the oven, flip it on to the towel, and peel off the parchment paper. I did just that, and it worked although when I quickly flipped the cake over, icing sugar went everywhere. You can see it on the bottom of the mixer. Hence why I think I used too much on my towel.

Photo 9: Roll the cake. I had no idea how to do this so I looked up some videos. This video  was the one I found most useful. Once it’s rolled, lay the cake on a cooling rack until it’s completely cooled.

While the cake was cooling, I made my icing.

Ingredients:

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


Photo 1: Cream all ingredients together using a mixer.

Photo 2: Once the cake is completely cooled, unroll it and ice the middle. I had some cracks in mine but they didn’t seem to matter. Besides, the icing helps hide them.



Wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap and refrigerate. I took mine out after a couple hours so J and I could try it. I love it! He’s not big on cream cheese icing but thinks the cake part is great. 

{Note: It's only been a couple days since we finished eating this and I'm craving it... frequently! It was that good!!}




Shared on:
Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid
The Cure for the Common Monday @ Lines Across
Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts
The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible
Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts
It's a Party @ A Creative Princess
Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order
Artsy Corner @ Artsy-Fartsy Mama
Someday Crafts
Love Bakes Good Cakes

5 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy!! I really need to try it! Thanks so much for coming out to the party at Clean and Scentsible. I'll be featuring this today. Hope you had a great weekend!
    Jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Featuring you today! :) Thanks so much for linking up with {wow me} wednesday.

    Ginger @ gingersnapcrafts.com

    http://www.gingersnapcrafts.com/2012/10/18-pumpkin-inspired-recipes-take-look.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love pumpkin rolls!

    Thanks so much for sharing at Artsy Corner, hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Allison, just lovely. It would be great if you linked in to Food on Friday: Parsnips & Pumpkin. The showcases from this Food on Friday have not yet been selected. This link will take you to my home page where you will find a sidebar with links to all the different Food on Fridays. So that I know you have linked and can be sure to pin to the board I have for each one, please do leave a short comment. Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).