Wednesday, 31 October 2012

Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Freezer Pie


This recipe is a prime example of me being my own worst enemy. For J’s birthday I decided to make him a lovely Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Freezer Pie like this one at Coupon Cousins. If you want the proper way to make it, click over to the original recipe. If you want a chuckle, keep reading. The problem is that instead of giving myself lots of time, printing off the recipe and making sure I had the proper ingredients, I bought the wrong ingredients, tried to rush through it, missed steps, and generally made a giant mess. I also didn't take the time to get nice, staged photos. Sorry.

It started when I decided to make an Oreo crumb base. Melt butter and mix with crumbs. Simple, right? Nope. I misread the instructions on the box and used WAY too much butter. To compensate, I added a lot of Oreo crumbs (the whole box) and some graham cracker crumbs until it got to the right consistency. I ended up throwing away the extra.


Next up was the pudding. The recipe called for a specific type of chocolate pudding that I couldn’t find so I just picked a random one. Because of that, I wasn’t sure whether to add the amount of milk called for in the recipe on the box or the amount of milk I thought was called for in the recipe on the website. I decided to go with neither. I added an amount in the middle of the two recipes and started stirring. Did you know some puddings need to be heated and some don’t? I do now. After stirring for a while, I read the instructions on the box and discovered it needed to be heated.

Fast forward a few minutes. I boiled the pudding following the instructions on the box. It finally looked and tasted normal. Next the recipe called for Cool Whip. Again, I wasn’t sure how much to add because of my milk miscalculation so I went with about half a container. I melted into the pudding because I didn’t let it cool so my pie wasn’t light and fluffy at all.


For the final step I added chopped Mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups. I thought I’d let it cool enough but some of my Peanut Butter Cups melted into the pie. I stuck it in the freezer for a few minutes, took it out, and sprinkled some more crumbs on the top to hide the lumps and imperfections.

I put the pie in the freezer over night and took it out about 15 minutes before serving it. Despite all the mistakes in attempting to make this, it still turned out very well. J enjoyed it and the leftovers didn’t last very long at all.

The moral of the story? Read the instructions! Also, as long as it has chocolate and peanut butter, it'll more than likely still taste great no matter how much you mess up. 

Shared on: It's a Party @ A Creative Princess, Delightfully Inspiring Thursday @ Delightful Order, Artsy Corner @ Artsy-Fartsy Mama, Saturday Seven @ Positively Splendid, Take A Look Tuesday @ Sugar Bee Crafts, The Creative Spark @ Clean & Scentsible, Man Up. Link Up. @ SIMACB, Wow Me Wednesday @ Ginger Snap Crafts

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing! Going on my list of things to try :)
    Thanks for the tips, and for linking up at Artsy Corner! Always love seeing what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).