Friday, 8 January 2016

Book Club Recap 2013

One thing I've always wanted to include on my blog is a recap of books and cookies from my book club meetings, but I've never gotten around to it. In the spirit of crossing things off my list, here's a summary from 2013. 

2013 was our first year of book club and it was pretty random how it happened and how I got involved. I got a text from a fellow teacher who was thinking of starting a book club and asked if I'd be interested. Her rationale was she wanted a way to meet up with other ladies without having to buy something (like a home business sales party) or having to go out to a restaurant or bar. I didn't know her well and was hesitant but said sure, thinking if I didn't like it I'd leave after a couple months. It was a little awkward at first, because most of us only knew one or two of the other ladies (there are 10 of us in all), but over time we've really become a close group. We're on our third year now and  I look forward to it every month.

In 2013 we were still finding our groove. We didn't have a set schedule, a plan for who would host, or a way of picking books. We started in April and met six times that year. With the exception of Owen Meaney, I really enjoyed all the books from 2013.

The Language of Flowers

For this book I brought Cheesecake Brownies. It was a new recipe and they were delicious. Drool.



The Light Between Oceans

I stuck with an tried and true recipe for this book and brought Lemon Cookies.



The Painted Girls

I had a friend come visit so, even though I read the book, I didn't make it to the meeting.

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society

This is one of my favourite books we've read. I went with another tried and true recipe for this one. I used to make these Rocky Road Squares back when I was a kid.



A Tale For Owen Meaney

Once I start a book, I finish it. It makes me crazy to give up before I get to the end. I'm not sure why. It's just a thing. Anyway, this was the book I almost didn't finish this book. I found it so hard to get through that I almost gave up. In order to finish it (not in time for the meeting), I made myself read at least 10 pages every time I finished another book. It took over two years but I finally got through it. The sad thing is that I didn't dislike it. I just found it really long and tedious to read.

It seems fitting that the Ritz Cracker Rolo Sandwiches I made for this meeting wasn't one I'd ever make again.



The Thirteenth Tale

I hosted this one, and it was only a short while after I found out gluten and dairy were my issues. I tried making several recipes but definitely hadn't quite gotten the knack of gluten-free dairy-free baking.



Shared at: 24 Cottonwood Lane, Life on Lakeshore Drive, My Pinterventures, Making It In The Mountains

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).