Sunday, 24 January 2016

Devastated for La Loche, Saskatchewan - My Former Home

As you can see from the title of this post, it has been a tough weekend for me. In case you are unaware, on Friday there was a shooting in the community of La Loche, which started at a house and then continued to the school. Four people were killed and more were wounded. 

While school shootings are always upsetting, both as a teacher and as a step parent to school aged kids, this one is hitting me especially hard. My very first year as a teacher was spent in the La Loche Community School Dene building, the very building that was struck by this tragedy on Friday. I spent a year walking through those doors, laughing in those hallways, teaching in those classrooms. My time spent there helped shape me into the teacher I am today. 


The school on the beautiful summer day when I first arrived in the community

Those who know me well know that my time in La Loche wasn't easy. While I loved my students, colleagues, and the school, I found it a difficult community to live in and only stayed for one year. It just wasn't the right place for me at that point in my life. Despite the short time I spent there and the fact that I've been out of La Loche for eight and a half years, it will always have a special place in my heart. 


The house I lived in from October until I left in June
If you look closely you can see the roof of the school on either side,
about half way up the house. It was right behind where I lived.

La Loche already faces so many challenges - a low employment rate, lack of adequate housing, isolation, and a suicide rate that is 3 - 4 times the provincial average are among the things they deal with. Now they are faced with rebuilding their school and community after this unimaginable event. Because I know the amazing spirits of many of the people who live there and how the community will pull together at a time like this, I believe they'll eventually make it through this grief stronger and more united than ever. Until then, my thoughts and prayers are with them.

I apologize for the quality of the photos in this post. I don't have digital copies so the pictures are photos taken of ones that are in my scrapbook.

Shared at: Making It In The Mountains, The Kolb Corner, A Stroll Thru Life

2 comments:

  1. Oh Al, this is so very sad and tragic. There doesn't seem to be an end to all the violence, and while it always affects us, I can only imagine how you must feel.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not heard this news, but my heart breaks for all those affected by such a tragedy. As a parent, the world just seems to be getting more and more scary for my children. I will send a prayer for this community, and I appreciate you sharing your story at Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).