Sunday, 15 May 2016

Finishing the Basement Part 2

You guys, I've got to keep it real. I'm struggling to find balance right now. To go from being a childless workaholic with a very understanding husband to being a full-time stepmom to a 14 year old girl has been a challenge. One aspect that I'm struggling with is finding time to create and to blog, and I really miss it. So here I am, for the first time in a long time, to show you the second part of finishing the basement.

I shared the before here in case you'd like to see where we started. Also, here in part one I shared framing, insulating, electrical, drywalling, mudding, and taping. I have to give almost all the credit for this to J. Other than having help with the framing and hiring out the electrical and carpet installation, he did all the work, and it looks fantastic if I do say so myself.

After the mudding and taping was finally done (that stage took FOREVER!), J and M primed the walls. 



Once the priming was done, M and I did all the painting. It was perhaps a little too much movement too soon after surgery, and I may have been hurting quite badly for a couple weeks, but I'm all healed now.




After priming came the ceiling. I went back and forth between drop ceiling or drywalled ceiling but ultimately decided on drop. There were two main reasons I made this decision: if we ever have issues with any of our pipes or ducting it'll be easy to access it, and I thought ceiling drywall might be difficult for J to do on his own and I wasn't up to helping.



At this point the electrician came back in and did the final bits of wiring. We also had carpet installers come in and put down the carpet. One thing I learned from this experience is that you're actually supposed to book carpet installation a couple months in advance, and I wanted it done immediately. Oops. Thankfully they were able to squeeze us in within a couple weeks. I didn't get any pictures of this stage.

Next came the little details: trim, baseboards, closet doors, closet organizers, etc. By this point I was 110% finished with the renovation and ready for it to be over.




Aren't you excited to see the finished, staged rooms? Hopefully I'll be sharing them with you sometime soon. Also, any of you parents out there, how do you do it? Any advice would be gladly welcome!

Shared at: The Kolb Corner, A Stroll Thru Life, Life on Lakeshore Drive, Sugar Bee Crafts, The Crafty Blog Stalker

3 comments:

  1. Way to go! Finished a basement is a huge task- one that I will be working on one day once we have some money saved up. I'm excited to see what you do with these rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You've done a ton of work! It's looking great so far! Thanks for linking up with Merry Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any kids at home, but I can imagine how hard it would be to blog and keep up with everything. There are some full time bloggers that blog everyday with two or more small kids and I admire that so much!

    Sorry you're having some time issues. I wish I could give you some tried and true advice but maybe you'll find a rhythm in time.

    The basement looks amazing! We redid our basement and I remember how much work it was, but worth it.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).