Saturday, 9 July 2016

M's Teenage Girl Bedroom Reveal

It has been a while since M moved into her new room in the basement, and now it's time to share it with you. This post will be very picture heavy but I'm not sorry because I could look at these pictures all day. What I am sorry about is the lighting. This room has a light and airy feel but the pictures don't show that.



Because I love seeing the transformation, here's the before. We had put down dry core sub flooring maybe five or six years ago, and that was it. Then this past fall life got crazy. I was off work for 10 weeks for a major surgery and J's daughter called and things progressed from there and within a month we had a 13 (almost 14) year old living with us.


Before. The side on the right became M's room
and the side on the left became D's room.

Rather than take back her former bedroom, she stayed in the guest room while J built 2 bedrooms in the basement. He had help with the framing, and then did pretty much everything by himself. I offered moral support but that's all I was physically able to do. He did the insulating, drywalling, mudding and taping, priming (with help from M) , ceiling, door, and trim. M and I did the painting (although that was a really bad idea post-surgery) and we hired out the electrical and carpet installation.



We still need to find or make artwork for the wall above the bed.



Now it's time for the after. This is the finished room before she'd moved her belongings downstairs. It's much more "lived in" now, as you would expect the bedroom of a 14 year old to be. She's pleased with it, so that's the most important thing. Now we're saving up to finish the rest of the basement, so she can have her own bathroom.


Yes, that front plant is dying. Actually, by now it's already dead.

The curtains were a single panel made into two as a temporary fix, which I made too short.
We've since added blinds.




While we didn't make a lot for M's room (there are still things planned), I'm pleased with the projects we did complete. I've shared some and will continue to share more in the future, continuing to update the list below as the posts go up.


White Vase
Gold Spraypainted Everything



We have bought a desk chair but haven't painted it yet. Thats' on the to do list.

You may be wondering about the second bedroom we built. That's in case D ever wants to move back in because we couldn't build a room for one and not the other. Right now it's home to a desk, an old trunk, and an air mattress. I may get around to decorating it at some point. Maybe.

Shared at: Life on Lakeshore Drive, The Benson Street, Made in a Day, A Stroll Thru Life, Kathe With An E, The Crafty Blog Stalker, Divas Run for Bling

3 comments:

  1. Holy smokes. I'm totally loving the bedding, and the blue crates. I have a huge love of crates. Great job! I bet she's loving it.

    xoxo,
    Sarah @ Gypsy Girl Revivals

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute! I better not show my daughter, or she will want her room redone!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I love to hear from you and look forward to responding to your comments (unless you're a no-reply blogger).